Monday, November 7, 2016

ハッピーハローウィン 🎃

Happy Halloween everyone! This week flew by! There was a lot that happened and at the same time not... Each week I feel like it is just packed with stuff and then I get to the end and I look back and I think to myself, "what even happened this week"? Out of all the things I feel like have improved on my mission so far, my memory has definitely not been one of them haha. 

But onto this past week, to start it off we had dinner with that new friend of ours Haruki (he is the guy that cooked for the emperor of Japan). We went to his house and he cooked ham for us. It was literally the best ham I have ever eaten in my life. It was better than any American ham I had ever had. He told us it was actually ham from America so that was funny, but the way he cooked it was absolutely amazing. Him and his friend asked tons of questions about our missionary purpose and missions in general so we got to talk about that and it was a lot of fun. 

Our investigator Yamasaki is kind of wishy washy right now which is really sad, we tried to visit her but she hasn't been home so we left a Halloween treat/message and hope we can meet sometime this week with her. We have found a new investigator though. Her name is Koshimichi and she is really nice, we will see how things pan out with her. Other than her though we actually set a really strong return appointment with a young mom for tonight and I'm excited to see where that goes. She had some really cute and funny kids that we played with outside of their house. 

Near the end of the week we had specialized training with our Mission President, his wife, and the assistants to the president. It was a wonderful training and I actually feel like I took quite a bit from it. One thing I learned from Kaicho was to budget my money more. I thought I was pretty decent at this before the mission but as some of you may know.. I like to spend money haha. So learning more about living within your means and how to have a solid budget plan helped and I'm excited to follow the new budget I made for next month! I'll let you all know if I survive it. From Sister Egan though we learned a lot about being happy and choosing joy in the journey, rather than enduring it. She said so many good things I felt like I personally needed to hear so I was very grateful for that training. She also talked about gratitude and how that effects our own  personal happiness. During the week as I reflected on the training I had a thought come to mind and it was, "the more I do for others, the more I appreciate what has already been done for me". Sister Egan is such a Christlike individual and I feel like I learn so much about charity and service every time she presents us with trainings. 

To finish up the week I'll share a quick funny experience. We were home teaching at Tanaka Shimai's home and right before I started the message I noticed a large black thing moving on the wall adjacent from me. I stopped in the middle of my sentence and with a look of horror on my face pointed to the large spider on the wall. It was a huntsman spider. They are all over Japan and they are HUGE! This one was a litter bigger than my palm, so about the size of my hand. After I pointed it out they just casually carry on the conversation and say it is just a baby one! I then ask if they are going to kill it before we share the message and they say no!!! I was like, "are you crazy?" They said they were just going to leave it since it was harmless. My companion and I looked at each other with confusion and continued on sharing message only after we folded our legs in our chair so they were off the ground. About the middle of the message the spider kept crawling on the wall and then disappeared behind a dresser. Needless to say, my companion and I wrapped up the message and got out of there with no time to waste. 

Unfortunately we didn't have a Halloween party in Nakatsu because our branch is so small and old.. haha so elder Wintercorn and I are just going to party it up ourselves today since it's p-day! We don't have much plans but we may go buy some mustaches and wear them while we dendo tonight.. we will have to see haha. I love you guys! Have a great and happy Halloween! Enjoy the candy! 

Love, 

Elder Sherrill 

No comments:

Post a Comment