Saturday, May 13, 2017

Watch out Japan!


The Fukuoka Zone

Elder Sherrill received his License! 
I would like to start off this email with some good news and that is that I passed my driving test this past week!! I was so excited! This was my fifth time taking the test so I guess you could say it's been a work in progress haha. But anyways I passed it so now I don't have to worry about it anymore. The only thing I need to worry about now are all the crazy, narrow roads of Japan. After I passed at the DMV I drove home (about an hour drive) and that was really weird. I was really nervous to begin with and I felt kind of paranoid but after the first 30 or so minutes I kind of got back into the hang of it. Driving on the left side of the road isn't all that weird, I think the hardest thing to adjust to is the steering wheel being on the right side instead of the left. But nevertheless it's not all too different and I'm just excited I have the opportunity to drive in Japan where not many people get the chance too!

This past week flew by just like ever other week has in the mission and especially in the mission home. At the start of the week we had our MLC (Mission Leadership Council) here in Fukuoka below the temple and it went really well! Elder Strickland and I gave a training on
focusing our minds and thoughts on the Savior, Jesus Christ as well as opening our mouths to everyone. I was definitely a little nervous to give the training but I received the help I needed and the spirit was strongly present so we thought it went fairly well. This week all the Zone leaders will take it back to their zones and teach all the things taught at MLC from Kaicho, shimai, and us so I guess we won't see how good our training was until we see how well it is accepted and put into practice in the mission haha. But I have no doubt everyone will put everything we taught into good use because this mission has the best missionaries in the world!

I really am so grateful for the chance I have to serve here in the Japan Fukuoka Mission. Being here among the Japanese people is such an amazing blessing and probably one I won't fully appreciate until I leave. Serving with so many good examples and being able to devote all your time and talents to this work is unlike anything I even imagined a mission would be like. Sometimes my companion and I will talk about some things we have learned while we have been out and every time I just get more and more surprised at how much a mission helps you learn and prepares you for everything you will ever have to face afterwards. One thing that I have to come to know a lot more fully on my mission is how mindful Heavenly Father is of me individually. Everything that happens, all the trials and the success I have seen so far and will
end up experiencing I can see how they shape us into the person He wants us to become. I love my Father in Heaven and I'm so thankful I have this chance to be here and to labor with these amazing people in Japan!

One quick thing... it is Mother's Day! ... I wanted to just give a quick shout out to the most amazing mom there is! My wonderful mother, Sarah Jean Sherrill. Throughout my life I have learned more from her than from any other person I know, she is constantly trying to help me and make sure I have what I need in my life to ensure my happiness. She has taught me how to be kind, patient, caring, and always work hard. I have learned so much from her example and I just want to say how much I love her. I will always be grateful for all the sacrifices she has made for me and my brothers. A large reason I feel I was prepared to serve a mission and start serving other people was from all the many things I learned from her. I love you mom! I'm excited to talk with you soon!

Love,

Elder Sherrill

Elder Barker and Elder Dibble 

Minh from Vietnam!

No comments:

Post a Comment