Monday, May 1, 2017

Driving in Japan is Difficult


What a Week! This week was busy as usual and I took my driving test! A couple times actually, and I failed so far both times.. it's a pretty strict test. Working in the mission office you are required to get a Japanese drivers license since we use vehicles often to transport missionaries and go to trainings and such. Driving here is pretty intense since the roads are all so narrow and windy. It's pretty similar to Europe in the fact that you drive on the left side of the road and all the vehicles have the steering wheel on the right side of the car. It's a little tricky to get used to but it's not as difficult as you'd think it would be. I think the hardest part is just getting used to driving again after not doing so for over a year and a half! But anyways, I will pass this next week! So far in the office some elders have had to take it as many as 13 times.. there has only been 2 elders so far that have ever gotten it in their first 3 try's. Usually people pass around their 4th or 5th time so we'll see how long it takes me.

Since going to the DMV takes a lot of time all the other time we had mainly went into making and reserving travel plans for this upcoming weeks transfers. There is a lot more work involved in preparing for transfers than I had previously thought. I thought they all kind of just happened and went smoothly but come to find out there is quite a bit of preparation that goes on and we are the ones that get to do it! It has been pretty fun to learn all the new things that accompany
working in the mission home. In doing so I realize just how much effort, time, and especially money go into missionary work. It's a sobering thought to think just how far a length we will go to bring Heavenly Father's children back to him. It provides a lot more clarity to the scripture, "Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God".


Just because we are so busy with office work and transfers though doesn't mean we don't make time for dendo! We are always looking for ways to share the gospel, especially since our time is so much more limited now. My current companion, Elder Strickland is the best example of "open your mouth" I have ever seen. Whether we be stopping to get a quick bite to eat, standing in line at the DMV, or even waiting outside the church for an appointment, he is always opening his mouth and talking to everyone that passes by. This last week we saw just how important that principle is as we met a man at the DMV who is from Indonesia, has been studying Christianity and wants to learn more of Christian churches and which one seems right for him, talk about a perfect find! As we were sitting down later talking to him he asked us before we even brought it up, "so would it be okay if I went to your church? Where is it at?" I wish you could have seen the look on our faces. He was probably surprised why our mouths were open in shock, because as a missionary here, you seldom ever hear something like that come out of someone's mouth as you talk to them about the church. We of course exchanged information, talked with him for a while and he and his girlfriend are coming to church this Sunday! This happened just yesterday so I attribute me failing the test and having
to come back all part of the plan Heavenly Father set up for us to meet him haha.

That about sums it up for this week! I love working here in the Japan Fukuoka Mission! Being here and working with all these amazing missionaries is such a great blessing and I am learning more than I ever imagined I would. I'm unbelievably blessed to be a missionary during this great time, there is much work to do and I'm excited to see what I can to do help be a part of it. I love you all! Have a great week and pray that I will pass my driving test this week haha.

Love,

シェリル長老

No comments:

Post a Comment