Friday, October 13, 2017

He Lives


皆さん、こんにちは!

Hello everyone! It is hard to believe my time as a missionary here in Japan has come to an end. It doesn’t feel real that I will be leaving to come home so soon. These past two years have been filled with so many amazing experiences. Ones that I will never forget. I have come to love not only the country of Japan, but also the Japanese people. They are among some of the most Christlike people I have ever met in my life. Having had the opportunity to serve amongst them for so long has been a huge blessing. I am overcome with gratitude for my Heavenly Father for calling me here to do so. I don’t think I can appropriately fit all my feelings and thoughts into a mere email so I will try and keep this rather short.

Throughout the course of my mission I’m so thankful to have drawn so much closer to my Savior, Jesus Christ. Going on a mission really is the best of both worlds. Not only do you get to spread and teach others about the gospel, but in the process of doing so your own conviction of the the truthfulness of the message builds. Each day we are privileged with much study time of the scriptures and through that I have felt so much guidance and comfort, especially through reading the Book of Mormon. I never would have believed that I would come to love reading it so much. A little over 3 and half years ago when I was first introduced to the Book of Mormon, my interest level to be honest, wasn’t there. Little did I know how much power that book really does hold. As I began to read, it started to make more and more sense. It seemed to finally have some relation to me. On my mission as I have focused on not only reading, but studying from it daily I have seen a huge difference. Now I know it is a true book translated by Joseph Smith through the power of God. It is not simply one aspect or part of my testimony, but rather the keystone of it. I love the Book of Mormon. 

Jesus Christ is the the center of the message I have been privileged to share with the people of Japan these last two years. The message is that He lives. He loves us. He loves your family. He loves you individually. He wants to ease your burdens. I love the verses in Matthew where it says, “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matt 11:28-30) The message of the gospel is so simple and yet so profound. A lot of people I have taught think they don’t need the gospel in their life. They claim to not be interested. I can sympathize with them as I was the same way, however if I may be blunt, I believe they simply just don’t understand it. One of the hardest things about being a 
missionary was the amount of people who misunderstood us and our message. They thought we were trying to force something on them. They saw “religion” or “Jesus Christ” and immediately shut off. Our purpose is to introduce a message that has helped us and we know can help them. I really do believe if anyone took the time to sincerely learn about the restored gospel, they would become interested in it. They would feel of the love their Father in Heaven had for them. They would feel the power of the Book of Mormon as they read it intently. Then their preconceived notions of Jesus Christ or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (The Mormons) would change. God will make make it known unto you if you but put forth the effort to know for yourself.

I am so grateful for all the wonderful examples I have had on my mission. From each of my companions, members, and others that I’ve been able to come into contact with. I knew coming on a mission would help me in some ways but I had no idea how much of a change it would have on me. My testimony has increased, my desires are more righteous, I understand my weaknesses more (and I’ve found a lot more than I thought I had haha) to name just a few. Ultimately though I have come to a firm resolve that He lives. Jesus the Christ lives. Because of Him I can overcome my weaknesses, repent of my sins, and find lasting joy. As I have been a missionary in Japan and looking back on all the things I have learned, this knowledge about my Savior, Jesus Christ is what I treasure most. I hope I will continue to learn of Him as I return home. I know if anyone truly seeks to follow Him or will but take the effort to learn about Him they will experience that same “mighty change of heart”. That is my message I would like to leave with you as I close with my last email as a missionary of the Lord, Jesus Christ. I know He lives. 

心から愛しています

シェリル長老より

No comments:

Post a Comment