Saturday, August 13, 2016

Hot Hot Hot = Japanese Summer












Well, August has started and according to the members and people here,
August is the hottest month of the Japanese summer. So far I can
already tell that is true haha. This past week has been really fun,
for many different reasons. I gave a talk in church, we found a new
investigator, spent a day in Kumamoto and 3 days total traveling, and
dendoed our hearts out.

First things first, I will start with the new investigator we found.
Last Monday as we were out knocking on doors we came across this
really nice single mom. She was really willing to listen to our
message and said she'd be interested in hearing it again. We came back
the next day and taught her real simply about the first vision and
prayer. Our lesson went well and she said she felt a really peaceful
feeling as we were teaching her. We came back just a couple days later
and continued teaching lesson one and introduced the Book of Mormon.
She was happy to take it and told us she would read some  before our
next visit. We also invited her to church but since she has 2 jobs
currently she is pretty busy and couldn't really find the time. Even
though she is super busy though we set up a new appointment with her
tomorrow! She seems so prepared and I hope that we can continue to
teach her.

Last Wednesday right after studies in the morning we had to get on a
train to head to a bigger city called Oita. It's about a 2 hour train
ride. After we get there we met up with some other missionaries and
took the 4 hour bus ride to Kumamoto. Once we got to Kumamoto it was
almost 9 so we had to go straight to the apartment. There we got to
meet up with some other missionaries and I got to see my old companion
elder Colton! He is doing really good, it was a lot of fun to see him
again. But anyways there was about 10 of us in that little apartment
so it was a little packed haha. The next morning we go to the church
building and get training from President Egan and the Assistants. It
was a pretty long conference (6 hours) but it was really good! The
main theme was success and talking about how you can measure your own
individual success as a missionary. I learned a lot and it helped me
see things in a little different perspective. After the taikai
(conference) was over we hopped back on a bus to go home. But since
home is so far away after the bus ride we had to spend the night in
Oita this time and then wake up early to catch a train home. Traveling
as a missionary is kind of crazy, especially when you have to go so
far but I think it's also pretty fun! Besides, I also get lots of
extra study time which as a missionary really is always sought after
haha.

Other than that the rest of the week has pretty much just been dendo.
Since we lost 3 days of dendo due to the taikai elder Lotti and I have
been going pretty hard to make sure we make up for the days we lost.
So far so good too because it looks like we will hit all the goals we
set this week! When I first got to the mission, dendo (proselyting)
wasn't my favorite since I couldn't really speak all that well. But
now that I feel a little more comfortable with the the language I love
it! We meet so many interesting people and honestly most of the
funniest (I think that's a word..) experiences come from dendoing and
talking with other people. It really is a lot of fun to go out and
share the gospel every day even when it sometimes gets hot and you
don't meet the nicest person, it's all worth it.

It feels like the weeks are just flying by and I'm a little scared of
how fast they are going, but I'm so thankful I get to be here and be
apart of this work in Japan. It really is a blessing. Oh and lastly,
Yano Hiromi, my old investigator in Kure was baptized a couple days
ago! My old companion is going to send me some pictures and I'll send
those out when I send out mine. Have a wonderful week everyone!

Love, Elder Sherrill

No comments:

Post a Comment